Apr 3, 2014

From Car Wrecks to Book Design

It's not too often I volunteer for pro-bono work but this job came about in quite a peculiar way. My wife and I a few years back were part of a hit-and-run that took place in front of a little league a block away from our house. One of the people who sat with my wife while I was pursuing the miscreants on foot worked for a local volunteer group called Urban Sparks.


 Unbeknownst to me at the time we'd volunteered in planting a trees and such for the Peak Park in our neighborhood the year before. We exchanged contact info and some time elapsed when Jack had contacted me about illustrating a brochure for a project called Service House. The idea being it would help sell the idea to people who had money and influence.

 So I illustrated and 18 page booklet with covers and such over the course of a month or two. It was interesting to say the least. But to be honest I don't think I'd sign up for that type of work anytime soon. Maybe it's not in my nature to be that giving. Or perhaps it was at the crossroads in my life when I'm looking at the start of my 40s and time is looking awfully precious. Who knows? It does cause one to reflect.

 Anyway, here are some of the cover designs that I came up with for this smallish square book. I'll post the interiors on my main site which you can see here.


Can you guess which cover they went with?

=s=

2 comments:

Ratphooey said...

Nice work, my friend!

Shane White said...

Thanks, my friend. :)

=s=